In order for a link to a topic to work, one of the following must be true:
• A link tag of the destination topic in Doc-to-Help must exactly match the text of the hot spot in the source document. For example, if you created a hot spot in your source document with the text help topics, then the link tag of the destination topic must be help_topics.
• A link tag of the destination topic must exactly match the tag property of the hot spot if you are using D2HML to create it. For example, if you created a topic link hot spot, help topics, with the tag property set to help topics, then the link tag of the destination topic must be help_topics.
When using link tags, spaces, hyphens and periods must be converted to underscores; letters, numbers and underscores are unchanged; and all other characters must be removed. For example, the topic title:
6th St. Exit
yields the link tag:
In this example the topic title contains a period next to a space, so you must provide an underscore for both the period and the space.
To determine the link tag of your destination topic:
1. On the Icon bar, click Topics.
2. Select the All Topics item from the left pane.
3. In the right pane, choose the destination topic.
4. Click the Choose Collection button on the Topics Property toolbar and choose Link Tag from the Collection Type drop-down.
The link tags are listed next to the Link Tags collection.
5. Make sure that one of the link tags exactly matches the text of your hot spot. If none does, you must create a matching link tag.